Friday, May 8, 2009

May 7, 2009- First day!

This is to be a journal of my experiences as an assistant/intern at Under the Green Umbrella, a booth at several farmers markets in the area where I live. I'm pretty excited about the whole experience. All of the tasks seem to be pleasant: baking, packaging, picking berries, attending the farmers market, having to do the dishes is an infentesimally small price to pay for having a job that also includes keeping a blog! :o)

On my first day of work I expected to be very bored. I expected it to be a day of watching while Tracie (the founder of UtGU) explained everything. I was pleasantly surprised to find the work to be very hands on immediately. It was a busy day. My tasks included: packaging pasta salad, washing dishes, portioning out cookie dough, preparing brownie batter, bottling blueberry lemonade, and packaging several flavors of hummus.

I learned some very useful things from Tracie (which I imagine will be happening on a daily basis) like how to make 18 batches of brownies at one time and that I'm not a freak who can't make brownies in an 8x8 pan (apparently it's the nature of the pan to either have a raw center or concrete edges). She told me getting your kitchen inspected is not nearly as daunting as it sounds and its a really a great investment. I also learned how to keep homemade juices from fermenting by using a yeast prohibiter to clean the bottles. Tracie let me know about different places where people can pick their own produce (which is very useful if you want to use the very freshest ingredients. And low cost, too!) and a little bit about berry plants.

I don't really have any pressing questions yet. Any that I had, were promptly and graciously answered by Tracie. I'm sure Saturday morning at the market will having me asking a lot of questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment